Health of Populations & Young People
|Course code PUBH2040||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Medicine and Public Health|
This course aims to provide students with an understanding of issues and concepts which are important in the health and personal development strands of the PDHPE key learning area (Health component of New Australian Curriculum HPE). Three key course modules will be covered providing students with an opportunity to think both critically and creatively about health issues impacting on different population groups within the community, the determinants of these and consider health promotion strategies for addressing them in schools. The course also addresses issues affecting young people, at an individual, school and community level, with a particular focus on the priority issues of drug use and road safety.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||Upon completion of this course, students should have the knowledge and skills to:|
1. Critically analyse the current status of, and key issues affecting, the health of Australian population sub-groups using appropriate indicators and epidemiological concepts;
2. Apply a systematic approach to the identification of priority health issues for a population and understand the main determinants of those issues;
3. Understand the philosophy and purpose of drug and alcohol education in schools and the application of harm minimisation strategies;
4. Identify and appropriately intervene with school students who are at risk of drug use or drug & alcohol-related harm;
5. Critically analyse the nature and main causes of road trauma including influences on decision-making and risk taking in young people.
|Content||1. Health status of populations. |
2. Young people and drugs & alcohol.
3. Young people and road safety
|Assumed Knowledge||Foundations in Health and Physical Education EDUC1015 / Foundations in Health PUBH1010|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for PUBH2040|