Facilitating Best Practice Health Care
Covers key issues impacting on the provision of best practice and evidence-based care within the health system, including: models of health care; communication and the patient-practitioner relationship; as well as beliefs, attitudes and behaviours related to illness and seeking health care. The impacts of structures, policies and procedures within the health care system, as well as communication and interaction within specific health care encounters, on 'outcomes' such as treatment adherence and patient health will be emphasised.
Distance Education - Callaghan
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Describe different models of health care in terms of their defining characteristics and the structural, policy and procedural factors that may be barriers or facilitators to best practice care
2. Identify factors for patients and practitioners which may be barriers or facilitators to best practice care, such as attitudes, training, peer support and feedback
3. Demonstrate an understanding of current initiatives within the health care system to improve best practice care.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of key elements of effective communication in health care and the dynamics of patient-practitioner relationships, and strategies to monitor and improve adherence with treatment
5. Design, implement and evaluate intervention programs for health professionals (and health care organisations) to increase the likelihood of best practice care provision.
6. Employ best practice communication and adherence-aiding strategies within their own professional practice
- Evidence-based practice
- Compliance with medical regimens
- Patent practitioner interaction
- Self management of illness
- Improving obesity management
- Health Screening
- Culturally competent healthcare
- Health reforms
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Master of Health Psychology, Doctor of Clinical & Health Psychology or PhD in Health Psychology programs.
It is assumed that students will have completed a four-year program in Psychology that has been accredited by the Australian Psychological Society.
Essay: Essays / Written Assignments
Online Learning Activity: Online Learning Activities
Presentation: Presentations - Individual
Online 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Three hours a week of self directed learning will cover directed readings. Blackboard forums, discussion groups and activities
Self-Directed 5 hour(s) per Week for 2 Weeks