Clinical Psychology with Adults
Introduces students to the aetiology and assessment of the more common disorders of adults, including adjustment disorder, bereavement, depression, and the anxiety disorders. This teaching is integrated with instruction on methods of intervention, including pharmacotherapy and individual, couple and group psychotherapy, for these problems.
- Semester 1 - 2016
1. Identify the factors determining the formation and maintenance of the more common psychological disorders of adults.
2. Develop appropriate treatment plans for the amelioration of the problems of adults.
3. Communicate the conclusions of assessments of the problems of adults to the clients themselves and to others involved in their care.
4. Engage adults in therapeutic alliances appropriate to the implementation of treatment plans.
5. Implement treatment plans and evaluate their success.
6. Identify signs that adults are a danger to themselves or to others and take appropriate action.
The course involves identifying and assessing the following disorders and developing, implementing and evaluating treatment plans for these disorders:
1. Adjustment disorder
2. Depression and suicide
4. Panic disorder
5. Generalised anxiety disorder
6. Obsessive-compulsive disorder
7. Post-traumatic stress disorder
The course will also involve teaching on the following:
9. Marital and group therapies
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Master of Clinical Psychology, Doctor of Clinical Psychology, Doctor of Clinical & Health Psychology, PhD in Clinical Psychology.
It is assumed that students will have completed a four-year program in Psychology which has been accredited by the Australian Psychological Society.
Quiz: 6 quizes *
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Study/Essay *
Presentation: Critical case presentation *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Presentation: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must pass this assessment task to gain a pass in this course
- Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must pass this assessment task to gain a pass in this course
- Quiz: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must pass this assessment task to gain a pass in this course
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term