Critical review and analysis of specialised research topic
PSYC4800 (together with PSYC4803A and PSYC4803B) forms a fourth year honours research project in Psychology. Advanced topics in research methodology and research ethics relevant to the current set of projects undertaken by the cohort of students at this level. These topics are integrated and related to students' individual research projects. Students carry out a detailed literature review of the research area relevant to their research project, develop a research proposal and consider the ethical implications of their research. This work is completed under the supervision of a member of academic staff of the School of Psychology.
This course forms part of an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accredited sequence.
- Semester 1 - 2015
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Develop a research design including the selection of appropriate research methodology;
2. Develop a research proposal;
3. Consider the ethical implications of the intended research;
4. Search for relevant and suitable reading material;
5. Critically analyse and evaluate published research material;
6. Present information in written format in an interesting and comprehensible manner with appropriate interpretation and evaluation;
7. Provide a rationale for empirical research
The course will cover:
- ethical principles in psychological research,
- development of a research project application,
- development of skills related to critical thinking, as well as
- critical analysis and evaluation of published research.
Students will prepare a research proposal for the approval of the Fourth Year Proposal Committee and an ethics application on their research topic area.
They will also prepare an extended review of the relevant research and rationale of their research that will include critical analysis of background published research relevant to their research topic.
Details of topics will be available at the commencement of the academic year.
Students enrolling in Psychology 4000 level courses should have successfully completed all 240 units of the BPsychology or BPsychology (Hons) program at the 1000-3000 levels or an APAC accredited sequence in Psychology (yrs 1-3).
Written Assignment: Literature review
Self-Directed 8 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Hours to be arranged with supervisor
Face to Face On Campus 8 hour(s) per Term