Advanced Topics in Biological, Cognitive & Developmental
Students participate in in-depth seminars and discussions in an advanced topic related to a specific area of cognitive or biological or developmental psychology defined by the seminar leader. A wide range of topics are available every year and these vary from year to year.
This course forms part of an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council accredited sequence.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2015.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge in their topic area at an advanced level.
2. Conduct a targeted literature search to identify critical issues and theoretical perspectives relevant to the specific topic;
3. Critically evaluate and integrate perspectives on the topic;
4. Prepare and present a powerpoint presentation that integrates this information, analyses the topic in depth and presents this information in an interesting and comprehensible manner
5. Identify critical readings for the class and discussants;
6. Participate as discussant in leading a conversation regarding critical issues relevant to the topic, thereby developing informed discussion and debate skills
7. Integrate critical issues and theoretical information relevant to the seminar topic in an essay with appropriate interpretation and evaluation
This course deals with current research in the areas of biological, cognitive, and developmental psychology. A list of topics will be available at the beginning of the semester.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the BPsychology, BArts(Hons), BArts(Psychology), BScience(Hons), B Sc (Psyc) and BSocScience(Hons)
Students enrolling in Psychology 4000 level courses should have successfully completed all 240 units of the BPsychology program at the 1000-3000 levels or an APS accredited sequence in Psychology (yrs 1-3)
Written Assignment: Written Essay (3000 words)
Presentation: Individual Presentation
Participation: Critical Discussions and Participation