Pre-professional Psychology I
Available in 2013
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
This course is a compulsory component of the Bachelor of Psychology program, and is an APS accredited course.
Lectures, workshops and practical sessions will provide students with an understanding of Psychological practice, the skills required to undertake it, and how an accredited Psychology program provides this training. Students will be informed by practicing psychologists about their understanding of what it means to be a psychologist. Video and problem-based materials will encourage students to explore their own understanding of Psychology, and in particular, the important ethical issues that a psychologist faces in a variety of work settings.
|Objectives||This course will
1. Inform students about the range of areas in which Psychologists work
2. Give students a realistic set of expectations concerning employment possibilities following completion of their degree
3. Ensure that all students understand the relationships between professional organisations, such as the Australian Psychological Society and the NSW Registration Board, and the discipline and to clarify issues of membership and accreditation.
4. Develop students own goals and expectations within the study and practice of Psychology
5. Develop a sound knowledge and awareness of ethical conduct as a practicing psychologist.
6. Develop an appreciation of note taking, record keeping and administration duties that practicing psychologists must perform.
|Content||Guest lectures will provide a primary point of contact for the students with practicing psychologists. Video material will be used where appropriate to demonstrate skills and provide an accurate picture of the range of areas within psychology. Problem-based workshops will allow students to further explore their understanding of what Psychological practice entails.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Problem Based Learning
|Contact Hours||Laboratory: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for PSYC1200|