This new online course in Psychology provides a concise introduction to psychology, covering the key theoretical and experimental approaches to modern psychology including the latest research findings. This course can be taken at your own pace, where all the content is presented online in step-by-step modules containing a mix of lectures, videos and online exercises to enhance your learning and knowledge in a field relevant for a wide range of degree programs.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
On-Line from Ourimbah Cmp
- Semester 2 - 2017
Distance Education - Callaghan
- Winter - 2018
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Define and describe what psychology is and the historical and contemporary approaches to understanding the interaction between mind and body.
2. Define the scientific method and reasoning and demonstrate an understanding of basic statistical concepts and principles of psychological research.
3. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding representing appropriate breadth and depth in selected content areas of psychology: (Emotion and Motivation, Sensation and Perception, Learning, Memory, Social, Biological, Abnormal, Developmental, Health and Individual Differences).
4. Apply psychological concepts, theories, and research findings as relevant to various aspects of life, including family and relationships, education, policy and law, business and the workplace and healthcare.
5. Use critical thinking effectively to evaluate popular media reports and scientific evidence for psychological claims, including differentiating empirical evidence from speculation.
This introductory course will provide students with an overview of the current body of knowledge and methods of the science of psychology.
Topics will include the historical foundations of psychology, cognition, emotion, learning, human development, biological bases of behaviour, personality, psychological disorders, and social behaviour.
Emphasis will be placed on an empirical approach to a scientific understanding of human behaviour across these diverse domains of psychology
This course has similarities to PSYC1010 and PSYC1020. If you have successfully completed PSYC1010 or PSYC1020, you cannot enrol in this course.
Formal Examination: Formal Exam
Quiz: Online Quiz
Online Learning Activity: Online Tutorial and Video Exercises
Distance Education - Callaghan and On-Line from Ourimbah Cmp
Self-Directed 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term