This new online course in Psychology provides a foundation in the core disciplines of psychology, the major theoretical and experimental approaches and the latest research. The course content can be taken at your own pace, where all the content is presented online in step-by-step modules containing a variety of lectures and exercises to enhance your learning and includes non-compulsory live online tutorials to engage with other students and teaching staff.
This course is not part of an Australian Psychological Society accredited sequence.
Distance Education - Callaghan
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Define and describe what psychology is and the historical and contemporary approaches to understanding the interaction between mind and body.
2. Define the scientific method and reasoning and demonstrate an understanding of basic statistical concepts and principles of psychological research.
3. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding representing appropriate breadth and depth in selected content areas of psychology: (Emotion and Motivation, Sensation and Perception, Learning, Memory, Social, Biological, Abnormal, Developmental, Health and Individual Differences).
4. Apply psychological concepts, theories, and research findings as relevant to various aspects of life, including family and relationships, education, policy and law, business and the workplace and healthcare.
5. Use critical thinking effectively to evaluate popular media reports and scientific evidence for psychological claims, including differentiating empirical evidence from speculation.
This introductory course will provide students with an overview of the current body of knowledge and methods of the science of psychology.
Topics will include the historical foundations of psychology, cognition, emotion, learning, human development, biological bases of behaviour, personality, psychological disorders, and social behaviour.
Emphasis will be placed on an empirical approach to a scientific understanding of human behaviour across these diverse domains of psychology
Written Assignment: Essay/Written Assignment
Formal Examination: Formal Exam
Quiz: Online Quiz
Self-Directed 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term