Psychology Introduction 1
|Course code PSYC1010||Units 10||Level 1000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Psychology|
Why do people do the things they do? Welcome to the fascinating world of psychology: the scientific study of mind and behaviour. This course introduces some of the key factors that influence people's perceptions, thoughts, feelings, and behaviour. Areas covered include lifespan development, social, cross-cultural and indigenous studies, personality and individual differences, and health and clinical psychology.
The course forms part of a sequence of courses that have been approved by the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council.
The course cannot be counted with PSYC1030.
Available in 2014
At the successful completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the key concepts in i.lifespan development, ii.social,cross-cultural and indigenous studies, iii.personality and individual differences, and iv.health and clinical psychology.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the research/scientific approach and the content of the course.
3. Demonstrate competence in report writing for science in psychology at an introductory level.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical and practical aspects of research in psychology using human participants.
As a consequence of studying this course students will build their:
4.Library and research skills
6.Problem solving skills
7.Critical evaluation skills
8.Intercultural awareness and perspective
|Content||Psychology is the science of mind and behaviour. PSYC1010 provides an introduction to some of the classic and contemporary concepts, theories, and evidence in psychology. PSYC1010 focuses on the normal behaviour of individuals and groups and also abnormal behaviour.|
PSYC1010 includes the following four modules:
1) Lifespan development
2) Social, cross-cultural and indigenous studies
3) Personality and individual differences
4) Health and clinical psychology.
|Modes of Delivery||External Mode|
|Contact Hours||Laboratory: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for PSYC1010|