Statistical Mechanics and Transport Processes
Concepts and techniques of statistical physics are important in many areas, including thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and solid state physics. It is therefore important that students undertaking a major in physics have some understanding of the material in this area. This course introduces some of the key topics and constitutes an introduction to the physics of many body systems. Computer exercises will illustrate some of the common simulation techniques used to model physical systems.
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Understand the main ideas, concepts and techniques used in statistical physics
2. Apply their knowledge of statistical physics to real physical systems
3. Develop their analytic skills through exposure to problems at an advanced level
4. Enhance their computing skills.
5. Enhance their written and communication skills.
- Review of classical thermodynamics and thermodynamic coordinates
- Equilibrium statistical mechanics and ensemble theory
- Classical and Quantum Statistics
- Applications eg ideal gases, heat capacity, magnetism, Bose-Einstein condensation, Fermi-Dirac gases
- Introduction to non-equilibrium statistical mechanics and transport theory
This course replaces the following course(s): PHYS3370. Students who have successfully completed PHYS3370 are not eligible to enrol in PHYS3375.
PHYS1210, PHYS1220, MATH2310
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Laboratory
In Term Test: In-class tests
Formal Examination: Final exam
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Tutorial: Induction Requirement - Students must attend and pass the induction requirements before attending these sessions. - In order to participate in this course students must complete a compulsory lab induction.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Lectures will be by Access Grid to James Cook University.
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorials will be with local tutor.