Physiotherapy Through Life Stages
|Course code PHTY3080||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Health Sciences|
This course provides the physiotherapy clinical skills and knowledge needed for the evaluation and management of issues specific to particular life stages, for example, childhood, adolescence, the childbearing years and older age. The course involves advanced studies in physiotherapy practice related to specific life stages.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||As a result of successfully completing this course the student will be able to:|
1. Apply biomedical, epidemiological and behavioural scientific knowledge to the physiotherapy evaluation and management of people across the stages of life such as childhood, adolescence, childbearing and older ages.
2. Understand and consider relevant financial, cultural, legal and ethical considerations in managing patients across the life stages.
3. Perform comprehensive and appropriate patient/group/population assessment across various life stages.
4. Apply advanced clinical reasoning skills and a sophisticated evidence based approach to decision making in physiotherapy practice for people across the life stages.
5. Select and apply appropriate and relevant physiotherapy management strategies for people across the life stages.
6. Develop their skills in applying advanced management evaluation and outcome processes appropriate for physiotherapy practice.
7. Demonstrate an awareness of community resources available for people with specific health needs across the lifespan
8. Understand the functions of multidisciplinary teams and carers in the management of people across the life stages
9. Understand the physiotherapist's role in the multidisciplinary team.
|Content||1. Aetiology, epidemiology, pathophysiology and clinical aspects of health issues relating to life stages (such as childhood, peripartum, ageing, and the effects on systems including respiratory, neurological and musculoskeletal.|
2. Comprehensive physiotherapeutic evaluation of individuals/groups/populations across the life stages.
3. Clinical reasoning skills needed for planning and implementing physiotherapy management relevant to specific life stages.
4. Techniques, indications, contraindications, complications, progression, biological basis of, and empirical evidence for, physiotherapeutic management of individuals and populations across the life stages.
5. Non-physiotherapeutic management (conservative, surgical and pharmacological) of health issues across the life stages.
6. Patient education and health promotion strategies relevant to specific life stages.
7. Psychosocial considerations relevant to managing patients across the life stages.
8. Ethical, lifespan, gender, cultural and legal issues relevant to the management of specific life stages
9. Multidisciplinary team management of health issues across the life stages, including team decision making and service delivery options.
|Replacing Course(s)||PHTY3010 Neurological Physiotherapy II, 20 units|
(Note this is part of an integrated set of changes to the Bachelor of Physiotherapy Program)
|Assumed Knowledge||Students undertaking this course will have successfully completed:|
PHTY1040, PHTY1020, PHTY 2010, PHTY2020, PHTY2030, PHTY2040
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Laboratory: for 26 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
Lecture: for 31 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for PHTY3080|