Physiotherapy Through Life Stages
This course provides the physiotherapy clinical skills and knowledge needed for the evaluation and management of issues specific to particular life stages, for example, childhood, adolescence, the childbearing years and older age. The course involves advanced studies in physiotherapy practice related to specific life stages.
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Apply biomedical, epidemiological and behavioural scientific knowledge to the physiotherapy evaluation and management of people across the stages of life such as childhood, adolescence, childbearing and older ages.
2. Understand and consider relevant financial, cultural, legal and ethical considerations in managing patients across the life stages.
3. Perform comprehensive and appropriate patient/group/population assessment across various life stages.
4. Apply advanced clinical reasoning skills and a sophisticated evidence based approach to decision making in physiotherapy practice for people across the life stages.
5. Select and apply appropriate and relevant physiotherapy management strategies for people across the life stages.
6. Develop their skills in applying advanced management evaluation and outcome processes appropriate for physiotherapy practice.
7. Demonstrate an awareness of community resources available for people with specific health needs across the lifespan
8. Understand the functions of multidisciplinary teams and carers in the management of people across the life stages
9. Understand the physiotherapist's role in the multidisciplinary team.
- Aetiology, epidemiology, pathophysiology and clinical aspects of health issues relating to life stages (such as childhood, peripartum, ageing, and the effects on systems including respiratory, neurological and musculoskeletal.
- Comprehensive physiotherapeutic evaluation of individuals/groups/populations across the life stages.
- Clinical reasoning skills needed for planning and implementing physiotherapy management relevant to specific life stages.
- Techniques, indications, contraindications, complications, progression, biological basis of, and empirical evidence for, physiotherapeutic management of individuals and populations across the life stages.
- Non-physiotherapeutic management (conservative, surgical and pharmacological) of health issues across the life stages.
- Patient education and health promotion strategies relevant to specific life stages.
- Psychosocial considerations relevant to managing patients across the life stages.
- Ethical, lifespan, gender, cultural and legal issues relevant to the management of specific life stages
- Multidisciplinary team management of health issues across the life stages, including team decision making and service delivery options.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours) program. Pre-requisite - successful completion of PHTY3020 and PHTY3070
PHTY1040, PHTY1020, PHTY 2010, PHTY2020, PHTY2030, PHTY2040
Project: DVD with supporting written documentation
Written Assignment: Reflective assignment
In Term Test: Online Examination
Online Learning Activity: Contribution to Online Discussions
Face to Face On Campus 26 hour(s) per Term
Students are also required to take part in moderated online learning modules and online group discussions in the second module of the course (weeks 9-13)
Face to Face On Campus 31 hour(s) per Term