Physiotherapy Clinical Practice I
General physiotherapy clinical practice in which students integrate basic theory and practical skills in the assessment and treatment of patients in a health care setting under supervision. This course provides an introduction to full-time clinical practice and the management of a case load comprising simple mixed clinical problems.
This course is Compulsory Program Component and students must pass in order to progress in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy program.
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Take an appropriate history and perform a competent physical examination of a patient presenting with a selected simple clinical problem;
2. Safely apply an evidence-based intervention for a patient presenting with a selected simple clinical problem;
3. Apply basic skills in clinical reasoning in conducting the clinical examination and making clinical decisions;
4. Communicate and collaborate effectively with patients, care givers and other health care providers;
5. Demonstrate professionalism and an evolving appreciation of the role of the physiotherapist;
6. Effectively present an oral case report.
- clinical application of basic skills in history taking to selected simple patient problems
- clinical application of basic physical examination skills to selected simple patient problems
- clinical application of basic intervention skills to selected simple patient problems, including treatment modification and progression
- clinical application of basic clinical reasoning skills, including making appropriate assessment and management decisions
- clinical application of oral and non-verbal communication skills
- clinical application of written communication skills, including documentation of patient data
- direct experience working in a health care team and contributing to the team
- the multi-faceted role of the physiotherapist
- skills in oral presentation
- educational value and components of a case report
- clinical application of basic skills in safe and evidence-based general physiotherapy practice
- skills in self review and peer review of clinical performance
- health professional behaviour and responsibilities
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours) program. Pre-requisite - successful completion of PHTY1020 and HLSC1000
Practical Demonstration: Clinical Assessment
Presentation: Oral clinical case presentation
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
Face to Face Off Campus 35 hour(s) per Week for 4 Weeks