Scientific Knowledge & Scientific Method
Introduces the nature of scientific method and the grounds of scientific knowledge as expressions of scientific rationality for both science and humanities students.
Available in 2014
Previously offered in 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2005
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 2|
|Objectives||(1) to give students a knowledge of the nature and basic principles of rational scientific method and knowledge claims.|
(2) to impart to students the skills required for them to be able to engage in critical assessment of scientific practice and in evaluation of scientific knowledge.
(3) to enable students to effectively communicate their understanding and to interact effectively so as to problem solve with diverse communal groups.
(4) to provide students a critical appreciation of the larger framework of Western science as it has developed in relation to society and within which current science practice operates.
|Content||The course covers the nature of rationally valid argument and its application to scientific method as prediction/explanation, its inadequacy for theory construction and the consequent problems of rational methodology, including induction and statistical inference. It then places these issues in the larger debate about the nature of observation, the multiple aims of science, and economic and socio-cultural influence on theoretical ideas and procedures, and the various proposals made in the light of these concerning the nature of scientific knowledge and objectivity claims.|
|Assumed Knowledge||At least 10 credit points of PHIL course at 1000 level or 40 units of any other courses at any level.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Essays / Written Assignments||Assessment for PHIL3070 will be by written work which will be individually structured to suit the subject matter. It will normally be by 2 essays, one of 2000 words, 40%, the other of 3000 words, 60%, but this may be varied to include more frequent, smaller case studies, summaries and the like earlier on, to equivalent value, as the subject matter requires. These essays will require the student to explain the central concepts, principles and arguments of the material studied, guided by the assigned readings and seminar discussions, the latter providing continual assessment and feedback on individual student ability to properly engage the subject matter.|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for PHIL3070|