Introduces students to the molecular basis of disease and drug response. As knowledge of the genetic basis of disease increases so does the opportunities for drug targeting and patient specific-treatments. This course considers the two key elements - the genetics of disease and the genetics of drug response (pharmacogenomics).
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Trimester 1 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Have a fundamental understanding of the molecular and basis of disease;
2. Understand the molecular determinants of drug response;
3. Understand the impact of biotherapy on therapeutics, pharmaceutical industry and society; and
4. Gain an understanding of the ethical issues related to the use of personalised medicine and biotherapy.
- Introduction to modern molecular medicine including genomics, proteomics and other omics
- Pharmacogenomics and personalised pharmacy
- Systematic molecular approaches to disease and drug responses
- Emerging molecular and cell-based therapeutics
- Ethical issues arising from the use of personalised medicine and biotherapeutics
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Master of Pharmacy program.
PHAR6123 Human Genomics and Biomolecular Analysis for Pharmacy.
In Term Test: Mid Trimester Exam *
Formal Examination: Final Examination *
Quiz: Tutorial Quizzes *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Formal Examination: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- Quiz: Minimum Grade / Mark Requirement - Students must obtain a specified minimum grade / mark in this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must obtain a passing grade for the combined In Term Examination and In Term Tutorial Quizzes to pass this course.
- In Term Test: Minimum Grade / Mark Requirement - Students must obtain a specified minimum grade / mark in this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must obtain a passing grade for the combined In Term Examination and In Term Tutorial Quizzes to pass this course.