Provides students with knowledge of the chemistry relevant to the study of pharmaceutical drugs; an overview of the structure-activity relationships of a variety of drug classes; introduces the process of drug discovery; and the methodologies of rational drug design.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Trimester 1 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate the importance of chemistry in the development and application of therapeutic drugs.
2. Develop an understanding of the physico-chemical properties of drugs.
3. Obtain a working knowledge of chemical structures and nomenclature.
4. Gain an appreciation of the importance of ionisation of drugs with respect to the solubility and efficacy of drugs;
5. Understand how current drugs were developed and how new scientific techniques will provide future drugs.
6. Understand how changes in the chemical structure of drugs affect efficacy;
7. Have been introduced to a variety of drug classes and some pharmacological properties;
8. Develop an understanding of the principles of analytical techniques.
- Drug discovery
- Stereochemistry and drug-target interactions
- Medicinal chemistry of selected drug classes
- Ionisation of pharmaceutical compounds
- Chemical nomenclature
- Techniques for drug analysis
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Master of Pharmacy program.
Entry level requirements for Master of Pharmacy
In Term Test: Mid-Tri Exam *
Written Assignment: Written Assignment *
Formal Examination: Formal Exam *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Formal Examination: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must achieve a passing grade in the combined examination assessment (mid-term and final examination)
- Written Assignment: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- In Term Test: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must achieve a passing grade in the combined examination assessment (mid-term and final examination)