Available in 2013
|Sydney Bathurst Street||Semester 1, Semester 2|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
A company possesses its own legal identity. This course provides an in depth analysis of the classifications and features of companies, the obligations and rights of parties to the corporation with emphasis on the main legislation. Directions for focus include consideration of the company as a legal person; the incorporation of companies; internal governance; director's duties and shareholder's rights; accounts and financial disclosure; transacting and external administration. As alternatives to the corporate form the course sources and interprets the different legal forms of sole trader, partnership and trading trusts. Students will experience increased confidence in employing legal terminology, tools and communication in diverse situations.
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
1. Identify the principal legal forms of business organisations differentiating between strengths and weaknesses.
2. Demonstrate an integrative understanding of the legal structure of a company.
3. Interpret and restate the legal rights and duties of parties to the corporation (governance).
4. Recognise, assess and resolve basic legal issues in an ethical and professional manner when interacting with corporations.
5. Explain the legal consequences of the main feature of a company, particularly separate legal personality.
6. Discuss how a company contracts with others.
7. Exhibit an awareness of the rights and duties of directors and shareholders of a company.
8. Demonstrate an evaluative understanding of corporate finance and failure.
9. Communicate your professional knowledge in an articulate style and structure.
|Content||The course includes a presentation of the forms and characteristics of business associations, partnerships, the rights and obligations of partners, the nature and various forms of corporations, directors' duties, members' rights, and legal aspects of company finance.|
|Assumed Knowledge||PACC6009 Business Law|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for PACC6010|