Available in 2013
|Sydney Bathurst Street||Semester 1, Semester 2|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
Taxation in Australia originates from a complex legal and constitutional foundation. This course analyses both the legal concepts of income and capital and the fiscal treatment of individual, corporate, and other taxpaying entities. Specific topics covered include GST, assessable income and exempt income, allowable deductions, special classes of taxpayers including trusts, partnerships and companies, calculation of individual income tax, capital gains tax, fringe benefits tax, depreciable assets, residency and retirement and termination payments. Course experience will assist students to define and articulate taxation issues as well as professionally communicate recommended solutions.
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Identify specific Australian Income Tax Laws and their relevance to particular tax paying entities;
2. Access provisions of the Income Tax Assessment Act and related legislation;
3. Identify taxation issues and apply critical analysis skills for effective solution;
4. Demonstrate an integrative awareness of tax planning issues as they relate to real life situations and environments; and
5. Communicate technical tax information effectively and professionally to client taxpayers employing formats to suit both context and audience.
|Content||Introduces students to Australian Income Tax law and related legislation. Topics covered include determining taxpayer residency, assessable income, allowable deductions, calculation of tax payable for individuals, retirement and termination payments, capital gains tax, fringe benefits tax, taxation of partnerships, trusts and companies and the GST.|
|Assumed Knowledge||PACC6000 Financial Accounting 1 and PACC6009 Business Law|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for PACC6006|