Develops knowledge and skills in risk assessment and management, as required for effective occupational health, safety & environment practice. It includes the application of adult learning principles to the development of EOHS training; accident theories in the analysis of accident causation; accident investigation techniques; inspections and audits; and practical approaches to risk assessment and risk management, including disaster and emergency planning.
This course is only offered externally in Singapore.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Trimester 1 - 2017 (Singapore).
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Examine features of risk/safety management systems;
2. Conduct job safety analysis and carry out risk assessment;
3. Recommend and implement risk controls;
4. Utilise accident theory as an investigative tool in accident causation;
5. Examine various approaches to safety auditing, to be able to make appropriate choices;
6. Use a case study approach to accident investigation and reporting; and
7. Design and implement a disaster management plan.
Task Analysis and Teaching Objectives:
- Collection and organisation of materials; education and training strategies for different levels of the workforce.
- Definitions of an accident; theories of accident causation; accident prevention.
Accident Investigation and Reporting:
- Statutory requirements; accident reporting systems and accident data collection; investigation techniques.
- Frequency rate, incidence rate, severity rate, mean duration rate, duration rate; monitoring accident rates.
Safety Inspection Procedures:
- Objectives of safety inspection; safety audits, surveys, inspections, tours; hazard and operability studies.
- Theoretical approaches; the emergency situation and responses; emergency/disaster control agencies; worksite considerations - evaluations, treatment, access, public awareness, shutdown procedures.
Risk Management Systems.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Environmental & Occupational Health & Safety program.
In Term Test: Exam 1 - Class
In Term Test: Exam 2 - Class
Formal Examination: Examination: Formal