Epidemiology & Environmental Health
|Course code OHSE3620||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Health Sciences|
The course is only offered externally in Singapore.
Introduces students to epidemiology as a way in which new knowledge in EOHS is gained, and provides the tools by which the EOHS literature can be critically evaluated. Explores the relationship between the environment and human disease and looks at specific environmental pollutants and health.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||By the end of the course students will be able to:|
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the environment and human health;
2. Apply a knowledge of epidemiology to the review of routine environmental and occupational health data relating exposures to health outcomes;
3. Describe the various environments that can influence human health (eg, indoor and outdoor air, food, water.)
4. Discuss the basic steps in health risk assessment as it applies to the environment;
5. Appraise critically the environmental and occupational health literature;
6. Apply these skills and knowledge to case studies on the prevention and management of environmental health problems.
|Content||- Introduction to research; hypotheses, hypothesis testing; what is epidemiology?|
- Health indicators; available statistics on morbidity and mortality; age standardisation; time trends;
- Logic of cause; risk and hazard; relative and attributable risk; odds ratio;
- Overview of research strategies;
- Bias; surveillance and monitoring;
- The survey; longitudinal studies; historical and concurrent; case-control studies;
- Critical appraisal process;
- Epidemic investigation.
- Environmental factors and human health - global warming and climate changes, clean air, water, soil; population and land use;
- Food and water borne diseases.
|Modes of Delivery||External Mode|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Case Study|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 39 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for OHSE3620|