Occupational Hygiene & Toxicology II
|Course code OHSE3110||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Health Sciences|
Enhances the knowledge and skills acquired in OHSE 2110: Occupational Hygiene and Toxicology 1 and relates them to the practice of occupational hygiene in the field, to the toxicological evaluation of chemicals and to hazardous substances risk assessment.
Not available in 2015
|Objectives||By the end of this course, students will be able to: |
1. Devise a strategy for conducting a hygiene survey and use correctly a range of sampling and analytical instrumentation for the assessment of the occupational environment.
2. Make recommendations for appropriate control strategies for environmental pollutants.
3. Evaluate toxicological data for the assessment of risk and the establishment of appropriate hygiene standards.
|Content||- Overview of occupational hygiene principles and practice.|
- Review of methods of surveying of air contaminants and noise.
- Sampling strategies in occupational hygiene.
- Review of analytical techniques in occupational hygiene.
- Occupational hygiene field surveys.
- Classifying toxic substances.
- Occupational carcinogens: risk assessment.
- Seminars reviewing occupational exposure standards.
- Exercises in hazardous substance risk assessment.
|Assumed Knowledge||OHSE2110 Occupational Hygiene & Toxicology I|
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Teaching Methods||Self Directed Learning|
|Contact Hours||Self Directed Learning: for 120 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|