Leisure and Occupational Lifestyles
|Course code OCCT4170||Units 10||Level 4000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Health Sciences|
Leisure and meaningful occupational activities are an essential part of a healthy lifestyle for all ages of people. Leisure can be active, passive, creative and altruistic. Leisure can also cross the divide and become meaningfully productive. This course provides opportunities to explore the meaning of leisure for different age groups. It will also examine the importance of leisure in particularly vulnerable periods of a persons life where the additions of a leisure activity can add a meaningful dimension.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||This course will enable the students to:|
1. Appraise their personal life-styles within the contexts of university life and vacation life,
2. Collect occupational leisure activities and information from a named group or individual in the community,
3. Tell others, through a presentation & a narrative, the occupational leisure experiences of this group or individual,
4. Interpret and appraise the groups or the individuals time-use leisure experiences and relate these to further enhancement or development for these people or similar others in the community.
|Content||1. Defining leisure experiences,|
2. The increasing importance of leisure in the changing population dynamics,
3. Leisure as seen through the eyes of consumers and providers,
4. Time-use diaries for profiling occupational leisure interests - self & group/individual,
5. Community analysis focusing on a specific occupational leisure topic of choice,
6. Visit and interview with a specific group or individual in the community,
7. Discussions with professionals and people working in this field,
8. The creation of further ideas for incorporating occupational leisure into your professional work.
|Assumed Knowledge||Knowledge, skills and abilities taken from the preceding courses in years 1, 2, and 3.|
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
Experience Based Learning
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Workshop: for 3 hour(s) per Week for 3 weeks|
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for OCCT4170|