Applied Psychosocial Mental Health in Occupational Therapy Practice
|Course code OCCT3200||Units 20||Level 3000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Health Sciences|
This course provides students with the opportunity to consolidate learning from OCCT3120 (Introduction to Mental Health and Psychosocial Occupational Therapy Practice). In addition it further develops students competencies in assessment, intervention, and program planning with consideration of different contexts of mental health practice. Students will also have the opportuity to consolidate skills through a 5 week professional placement.
This course is Compulsory Program Component and students must pass in order to progress in the Bachelor of Occupational Therapy program.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004|
|Objectives||Upon completion of this course students should be able to:|
1. Plan, implement and evaluate occupational interventions, within a selected theoretical framework, for people with identified psychosocial issues or mental disorder.
2. Articulate clinical reasoning for identified interventions.
3. Apply theory and principles of occupational therapy groupwork and programme planning in development of an intervention programme for a specified client group.
4. Demonstrate consideration of the context of mental health practice including policy, legal and ethical issues and institutional structures when planning interventions for clients.
|Content||1. Lectures - designed to build on the knowledge gained about OT practice in mental health in OCCT3120 and will cover assessment, intervention, and programme planning with consideration of different contexts of mental health practice, mental health issues across the lifespan and specialty areas of practice.|
2. Tutorials - provide students with the opportunity to extend and consolidate learning from the lecture series.
3. Professional Placement - Preparation of students for placement, 5 week full time placement and debrief following placement.
|Assumed Knowledge||160 credit points of the Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Programme|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Practicum: for 35 hour(s) per Week for 5 weeks|
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 8 weeks
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 7 weeks