|Course code OCCT3160||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Health Sciences|
In Australia, a key role of a community-based occupational therapist is adapting a person's environment in which they live. This may include modifying a person's home both inside and outside to optimise their functioning. It may also include assessing and modifying transport facilities and other local amenities and buildings which they need to access in their daily routines. This breadth of perspective also requires an awareness of not just the physical but also the social and cultural environment and the occupational concept of "place". In integrating theory and practice there is a high level of technical skills associated with this learning which is underpinned by the occupational therapists' practice reasoning which incorporates the person, their family and/or significant others.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||Upon completion of this course students will be able to:|
1. Assess and analyse the impact of the environment (home/community/social/political/cultural) on a person's occupational task performance.
2. Select domestic and community activities appropriate to the needs and abilities of the client.
3. Evaluate a client's home or community environment, determining necessary modifications for improved occupational performance.
4. Measure specific dimensions of the client's home accurately.
5. Critique technical drawings.
6. Draw clear sketches & technical drawings of modifications and positions for rails in bathrooms and toilets.
7. Critically appraise the modification for improving the quality of life of the person / family and relevant others.
8. Assess, measure and draw modifications for a stated community venue.
9. Clearly describe practice reasoning for all proposed recommendations.
|Content||This course focusses on modifications in the home and community environment that will enhance safety and function for an individual to improve their quality of life. Assessment and evaluation of an individual/family needs and the application of technical measurments and abilities is delivered through a critical and reflective framework of the student's practice resoning. This work will be set into a person's social, cultural and political environment.|
|Replacing Course(s)||Partial replacement = 50% of OCCT2110|
|Assumed Knowledge||This third level course will assume the knowledge, skills and attitudes that have been developed in all the courses in years one and two of the program.|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
Distance Learning : Paper Based
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
Experience Based Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 5 weeks|
Computer Lab: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 1 weeks
Self Directed Learning: for 6 hour(s) per Week for 4 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for OCCT3160|