This course assists students to build on existing knowledge and will expand leadership/management capabilities from the patient bedside to the boardroom (as relevant to student practice context). The six modules have related activities for concurrent learning and application of knowledge to the student's context of practice; enabling experiential learning. Learning activities will unpack new tools for the student to approach work problems and challenges utilising theory, evidence and strategy.
The course comprises six modules over the course of the trimester (12 weeks). The modules have related activities that enable concurrent learning and the application of knowledge to leadership and management practice.
The aim of the assessment process is to meet course learning outcomes whilst providing opportunity for students to personalise assessment tasks to achieve their own professional learning outcomes. The assessment comprises two blogs and two assignments providing opportunity for students to demonstrate learning outcomes through a process of self-reflection, situation analysis and the use of relevant evidence. The aim of the assessment process is to meet course learning outcomes whilst providing opportunity for students to personalise assessment tasks to achieve their own professional learning outcomes
The course provides opportunity for students to achieve learning outcomes that will strengthen their confidence and success when confronting the complex leadership and management challenges within an ever-changing healthcare world.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Trimester 1 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Critically appraise and evaluate your own and others leadership/management strengths and areas for development
2. Analyse and evaluate leadership and management theories and styles
3. Identify and analyse leadership/management situational challenges in the context of health care delivery and or patient outcomes
4. Research and critically analyse and apply strategies through which challenges might be addressed
5. Critically evaluate a range of people management strategies with a focus on managing difficult people
6. Enhance knowledge about the principles of working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisational leadership (within and outside government services) to consult with or to broker health related services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
7. Utilise practice development to advance patient/professional outcomes.
The course adopts a problem based approach to learning about:
- Self-reflection and self-critique
- Leadership and management theory and practice
- Effective communication skills and relationship management
- Managing people, particularly difficult people in the workplace
- Building effective disciplinary and interprofessional teams
- Leadership/management style and patient outcomes
- Working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Leadership/Services
- Situational analysis and strategies to resolve leadership challenges
- Leadership/Management practice development
Foundations of nursing knowledge, nursing theory, legal and ethical issues, fundamentals of research, human bioscience, psychology, sociology related to practice. Principles of investigative approaches in nursing, concepts and theories relevant to practice, contemporary nursing issues. Academic reading and writing skills, ability to access and evaluate information from a variety of sources, skills in critical analysis, critical judgment, synthesis and evaluation. Ability to conceptualise practice. Demonstrated Australian Nursing Council competencies.
Online Learning Activity: Written assignment blogs (x2) *
Presentation: Powerpoint *
Essay: Essay *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Essay: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course. - Gain an aggregate of 50% or higher for these assessment items.
- Presentation: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course. - Gain an aggregate of 50% or higher for these assessment items.
- Online Learning Activity: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course. - Gain an aggregate of 50% or higher for these assessment items.