Issues in Aged Care
|Course code NURS6190||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Nursing and Midwifery|
This course examines professional, social, political, economic, ethico-legal and spiritual issues and innovations associated with the care of older people.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||At the successful completion of this course, students will:|
1. Appreciate a range of issues relating to the provision of health care to older people;
2. Explore the contextual and practice issues relating to older people nationally and internationally;
3. Critically examine issues relating to the care of older people in a range of health contexts and settings;
4. Propose and justify changed practice and/or models of care that are consistent with national and international humanitarian agendas for older people;
5. Apply frameworks for professional manuscript publication to a selected issue or concern;
6. Demonstrate academic literacy skills consistent with international standards for successful publications.
|Content||1. Health policy, contexts and older people internationally and nationally|
2. Contextual and practice issues
3. Innovation and models of care
4. Frameworks for professional publication
|Assumed Knowledge||* Foundations of health and health breakdown theory, legal and ethical issues related to health. It is also assumed that the student will have fundamentals of research, human bioscience, psychology, sociology related to health care practice.|
* Academic reading and writing skills, ability to access and evaluate information from a variety of sources, skills in critical analysis, critical judgement, synthesis and evaluation.
* Ability to conceptualise practice.
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Self Directed Learning: for 8 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Email Discussion Group: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for NURS6190|