Cardiovascular /Respiratory Nursing Therapeutics
This course develops an understanding of the scientific basis of the cardiovascular, cerebrovascular and respiratory systems, health breakdown and therapeutic regimes. This will include aspects of primary, secondary and tertiary health care.
Not currently available.
1. Demonstrate the achievement of nominated assessment skills related to stroke, cardiac and respiratory systems
2. Plan, implement and evaluate the care of clients experiencing health breakdown of the cardiovascular, cerebrovascular or respiratory systems
3. Participate in the provision of appropriate education and health promotion for the client from the acute phase through to their rehabilitation
4. Discuss common terms, nursing interventions and procedures concerned with stroke, cardiovascular or respiratory health breakdown
5. Apply an understanding of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology and pharmacology to life threatening cardiac arrhythmias, heart failure, respiratory failure and atherosclerosis resulting in stroke and myocardial infarction
6. Apply an evidenced based approach to the assessment and nursing care of for clients experiencing illness
7. Describe key factors that ensure continuity of care for clients who move between institutional and community health services for clients
8. Discuss continuity of care and the relationships between institutional and community health services for clients
9. Reflect on practice to identify learning goals for subsequent clinical experiences related to the care of clients with stroke, cardiovascular or respiratory disease processes
10. Develop and demonstrate group work skills
Cardiovascular physiology, pharmacology and the pathophysiology underlying acute coronary syndrome, heart failure and congenital birth defects.
Cerebrovascular physiology, pharmacology and the pathophysiology underlying stroke.
Respiratory physiology, pharmacology and the pathophysiology underlying COPD, pneumonia, asthma, and respiratory failure.
Primary health issues concerning stroke, cardiovascular and respiratory health
Assessment of a person's cardiovascular, cerebrovascular and respiratory health
Therapeutic intervention for patients with stroke, cardiovascular and/ or respiratory disease
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
This course is only available to students who are active in the Bachelor of Nursing program
Satisfactory completion of all 1000 level BN courses and NURS2194
Quiz: Quiz for each module
Quiz: Physio Ex quizzes
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Study
Professional Task: Clinical portfolio
Formal Examination: Formal examination