Clinical for International Nurses
This course provides international students who commence their Bachelor of Nursing program in the second year of this program with an orientation to the Australian health care context. It also enables these students to develop language skills specific to the healthcare settings, provides them with specific clinical skills required in the application of Occupational Health and Safety and Infection Control, and enhances academic skills for their ongoing study in the program.
- Semester 1 - 2016
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate effective language and communication skills specific to clinical nursing in the Australian context;
2. Demonstrate essential knowledge, skills and techniques specific to the Australian clinical context;
3. Describe the structures and processes for the professional and legal regulation of nursing;
4. Be prepared to undertake subsequent clinical placements;
5. Develop skills in the use of specific IT platforms;
6. Use the library effectively;
7. Apply principles of academic integrity, honesty and respect for knowledge.
- Introduction to the Australian health care system
- Overview of Australian health law and ethics
- Oral and written clinical communication
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Infection Control
- Patient Assessment and History taking
- Literature search
- Medication calculation and administration
- Safe patient movement
- Responding to medical emergencies
- Aggression minimisation
- Introduction of academic integrity and information technology
This course is only available to students who are active in the Bachelor of Nursing program
English language skills equivalent to IELTS 7.0 Professional nursing qualification from a recognised overseas nursing authority.
Quiz: Quiz - Class
Written Assignment: Essays / Written Assignments
Participation: Participation in Clinical Laboratory and Placement Activities
Interview: Patient Assessment
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
Face to Face Off Campus 4 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face On Campus 22 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face On Campus 15 hour(s) per Term
Please note: Tutorials are available only in face to face mode.