Nursing Therapeutics & Health Breakdown
|Course code NURS1291||Units 10||Level 1000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Nursing and Midwifery|
Develops students' understanding of the factors that alter peoples' health and introduces the concept of nursing therapeutics. These concepts are examined in relation to infective and inflammatory health problems. Nursing tools for assessment, care planning, implementation and evaluation of client care are used in simulated and real clinical settings.
This course is a Compulsory Program Component and students must pass in order to progress in the Bachelor of Nursing program
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005|
|Objectives||Completing the learning activities for this course should enable the student to: |
1. Discuss the factors that lead to physiological and mental health changes;
2. Understand the dimensions of acute and chronic health breakdown and disability.
3. Apply the understanding of organisms and their culture to the collection, storage and handling of specimens;
4. Complete a comprehensive nursing assessment for a client with an inflammatory or infective process;
5. Analyse nursing assessment data to identify risks of health breakdown;
6. Use nursing tools to plan and evaluate care for clients ;
7. Implement preventive nursing activities;
8. Develop specified nursing skills and use these to provide care in the clinical setting;
9. Discuss continuity of care and the relationships between institutional and community health services for clients;
10. Apply an evidenced base approach to the assessment and nursing care of clients experiencing illness; and
11. Plan and implement care that reflects understanding of the impact of health breakdown, including psychosocial dimensions of the illness experience on the client and significant others.
|Content||Introduction: the nature of health breakdown, causes, consequences and outcomes; |
Health assessment: history taking and evaluating health breakdown from presented scenarios;
Analysis of health breakdown: factors that lead to health changes including inflammation, infection, degeneration, congenital and genetic factors, neoplasia, malignant and non malignant, trauma.
Analysis of factors that lead to mental health changes: adaptive, maladaptive and pathological.
Care planning and evaluation of the effectiveness of nursing care; and
Environments of care such as clinics and hospitals, and continuity of care including home, community and health centres.
|Assumed Knowledge||NURS1181 Foundations of Nursing|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 9 weeks
Clinical: for 32 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
Laboratory: for 14 hour(s) per Term for Full Term