Partnerships in Health Practice
|Course code NURS1272||Units 10||Level 1000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Nursing and Midwifery|
This course focuses on the development of clinical practice partnership skills for relationships between:
1. nurse and patient;
2. nurse and nursing colleagues; and
3. nurse and other healthcare professional
The course introduces interpersonal and intra-personal communication within the interdisciplinary context and the role of the nurse as a communicator.
This course is a Compulsory Program Component and students must pass in order to progress in the Bachelor of Nursing program
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005|
|Objectives||Completing the learning activities for this course should enable the student to:|
1. describe healthcare partnerships and their role in patient care
2. develop interpersonal and inter-professional communication skills relevant to clinical practice;
3. begin to demonstrate an ability to adapt partnership communication and relationship skills to a range of clinical situations e.g. children, altered speech and hearing, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
4. develop professional behaviours for use within the clinical environment;
5. develop skills in self evaluation and reflection;
6. discuss the impact of history and culture on Aboriginal peoples;
7. develop an understanding of cultural influences on communication and the development of therapeutic relationships;
8. develop strategies to include consumers and carers as part of the healthcare team; and
9. develop skills in promoting a positive workplace culture.
|Content||This course is comprised of three learning modules. |
Module 1: Healthcare partnerships; and
Module 2: Partnerships with colleagues.
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 12 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 9 weeks