Available in 2013
|On-Line from Callaghan||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
This course examines the application of nutrition and dietetics knowledge in the field of child and family health and nutrition, with an emphasis on rural issues. The course aims to develop a holistic approach to optimising the nutritional health of this group.
|Objectives||At the completetion of NUDI4290, Paediatric Nutrition and Dietetics student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the theory of human nutrition and dietetics as it applies to paediatrics.
2. Demonstrate understanding of the aetiology, pathophysiology and clinical features of paediatric diseases and conditions that require dietary modification.
3.Apply knowledge of food, nutrition, dietetics and health to the nutritional care of children, adolescents and their families.
4. Translate current scientific knowledge of paediatric diseases and conditions into practical nutritional advice for children and their familes.
5. Demonstrate a professional approach to dietetic practice.
6. Work independently in a self-directed manner.
7. Identify resources for promoting good nutrition for children and adolescents in the community.
|Content||The course consists of the following modules/content;
1. Nutrition and Growth Assessment
2. Breastfeeding, infant formula and introducing solids
3. Common Nutrition-Related Problems
4. Nutrition Support
5. Child and Adolescent Obesity
6. Paediatric Diabetes Management
7. Nutrition Support in Cystic Fibrosis
8. Managing Paediatric Nutrition and Dietetics in the Rural Context.
9. Communicating Nutrition messages to children, adolescents and families.
|Assumed Knowledge||NUDI3220 Clinical Nutrition 1
NUDI3230 Clinical Nutrition 2
NUDI3240 Dietetic Practice
NUDI3250 Programs for Nutrition Education
NUDI3280 Nutritional Biochemistry
NUDI3290 Research Methods and Statistics
NUDI3300 Foodservice Management
NUDI3310 Public Health Nutrition
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Self Directed Learning: for 90 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
Lecture: for 12 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for NUDI4290|