Paediatric Nutrition and Dietetics
This course examines the application of nutrition and dietetics knowledge in the field of child and family health and nutrition, with an emphasis on rural issues. The course aims to develop a holistic approach to optimising the nutritional health of this group.
On-Line from Callaghan
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the theory of human nutrition and dietetics as it applies to paediatrics.
2. Demonstrate understanding of the aetiology, pathophysiology and clinical features of paediatric diseases and conditions that require dietary modification.
3. Apply knowledge of food, nutrition, dietetics and health to the nutritional care of children, adolescents and their families.
4. Translate current scientific knowledge of paediatric diseases and conditions into practical nutritional advice for children and their familes.
5. Demonstrate a professional approach to dietetic practice.
6. Work independently in a self-directed manner.
7. Identify resources for promoting good nutrition for children and adolescents in the community.
The course consists of the following modules/content;
- Nutrition and Growth Assessment
- Breastfeeding, infant formula and introducing solids
- Common Nutrition-Related Problems
- Nutrition Support
- Child and Adolescent Obesity
- Paediatric Diabetes Management
- Nutrition Support in Cystic Fibrosis
- Managing Paediatric Nutrition and Dietetics in the Rural Context.
- Communicating Nutrition messages to children, adolescents and families.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the B Nutrition & Dietetics (Honours) program. Pre-requisite - successful completion of NUDI3230
NUDI3220 Clinical Nutrition 1, NUDI3240 Dietetic Practice, NUDI3250 Programs for Nutrition Education, NUDI3280 Nutritional Biochemistry, NUDI3300 Foodservice Management, NUDI3310 Public Health Nutrition
Written Assignment: Assignment 1 Capstone
Written Assignment: Assignment 2 Capstone
In Term Test: In Term Test Online Exam
Online 12 hour(s) per Term
All contact will be online as per distance course. Lectopia lectures students may access at anytime. Email as arranged with the Course Co-ordinator. Blackboard Elluminate as per arrangement with Course Co-ordinator.
Self-Directed 90 hour(s) per Term