Nutrition Education Programs
Students will learn the theory of nutrition education and its application to groups in the community. Students will apply both nutrition knowledge and health behaviour change to the process of nutrition education. Students learn the theory of small group education process and have the opportunity to observe and facilitate learning in small groups.
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Determine community needs for nutrition education.
2. Apply evidence based practice in program development.
3. Apply models of behaviour change to nutrition education.
4. Plan, implement and evaluate nutrition promotion programs.
5. Develop sufficiently detailed session plans.
6. Describe the principles of adult education and group processes.
7. Identify and begin to demonstrate skills required for facilitating group education sessions.
- Defining nutrition education.
- Adult education theory.
- Models of health behaviour change.
- The evidence base for dietetic interventions.
- Assessing needs for nutrition education.
- Program planning for nutrition education.
- Evaluating nutrition education programs.
- Small group facilitation skills.
- Stages in small group process.
- Resolving conflict.
NUDI3250 Pre-Requisites - B Nutrition & Dietetics (Honours) program (12339)
NUDI2200 Nutrition 2
Presentation: Oral presentation (icebreaker)
Written Assignment: Written assignment (Evidence based summary)
Presentation: Oral presentation (mini Nutrition Education Session) *
Written Assignment: Written Assignment (Nutrition Education Program document) (Capstone) *
Written Assignment: Written assessment (Critical reflection and peer evaluation)
Formal Examination: Examination
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Presentation: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- Written Assignment: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- First Aid Certificate - students must complete a First Aid Certificate issued by an approved provider.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Students must complete NSW Health Department requirements for students to attend placements in NSW Health facilities.
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term