Clinical Nutrition 2
Studies clinical nutrition as it relates to the prevention and treatment of disease. The course deals with the nutritional aspects of diseases and clinical disorders by integrating students' existing knowledge of physiology and biochemistry and food science.
Available in 2015
Previously offered in 2014
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 2|
|Objectives||At the successful completion of this course students should be able to:|
1. Demonstrate knowledge of nutrition principles and their application to disease prevention and management.
2. Interpret and translate scientific knowledge and principles related to nutrition into practical information.
3. Demonstrate a knowledge of medical terminology and medical abbreviations associated with nutrition related diseases and conditions.
4. Collect, organise and assess data relating to the health and nutritional status of individuals.
|Content||1. Gastroenterology |
3. Nutrition Support in critical illness
4. Genetic Metabolic Disorders
5. Renal Disease
5. Pulmonary Disease
6. Rheumatic Disease
7. Food sensitivity
8. Eating Disorders
|Assumed Knowledge||NUDI2200 Nutrition 2|
NUDI3240 Dietetic Practice
NUDI3220 Clinical Nutrition 1
HUBS2505 Human Pathophysiology
HUBS2205 Human Molecular Science
Concurrent assumed knowledge: NUDI3240 Dietetic Practice
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Case Study|
Self Directed Learning
|Examination: Formal||Written Exam, Formal.|
Examination is ESSENTIAL criterion
|Laboratory Exercises||Written Laboratory Reports|
|Other: (please specify)||Essential skills, a pass in the written formal examination is an ESSENTIAL criteria to pass this course. This examination covers all the course objectives. Students must pass this course to progress to NUDI4240|
Profesional Placement - A pass in the Professional Placement is ESSENTIAL criterion to pass this course.
|Contact Hours||Laboratory: for 4 hour(s) per Week for 2 weeks|
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self Directed Learning: for 18 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 3 weeks
|Compulsory Program Component||Prior successful completion of NUDI3220. WorkCover approved First Aid Certificate.|
|Compulsory Course Component||PLACEMENT INFORMATION and REQUIREMENTS|
This course includes a period of professional placement. The term professional placement includes all activities (clinical, fieldwork, industry placement, work experience) undertaken in a facility where patients or clients are seen and you are present as a student of the University of Newcastle. Placement is a compulsory course component of this course andplacement must be passed to pass this course.
To attend placement and pass this course students will need to demonstrate the following Placement Requirements prior to placement:
• a National Police Certificate
• a completed and signed NSW Health Code of Conduct Agreement
• a completed and signed NSW Health Student Declaration
• all specified immunisations and evidence of immunity
• a completed NSW Health Form 2. - Tuberculosis (TB) assessment tool
• a completed NSW Health Form 3. - Student Undertaking/Declaration
International Students (additional requirements)
• Police Certificates from all previous countries of residence (translated into English and certified as a true copy)
All School of Health Sciences students have been made aware of these rules since enrolment into their Programs in year 1, and students have been provided with information and assistance to complete the necessary placement requirements. Any student excluded from placement because they are unable to demonstrate the above compulsory course components will not be able to pass this course and will be given a failed grade (FF) for the course. Any student not able to fulfill the requirements above, or who are unwilling to meet these requirements, is required to make an appointment with the course coordinator to discuss their progress in this course and their degree. No opportunities to vary placement will be provided to students unable to demonstrate the necessary placement requirements.
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for NUDI3230|