Honours Research Project
This course will involve the preparation, production and presentation of a substantial music project that will lay the foundation for a career in music research or the music profession. It is designed for students who reach a high level of achievement within the undergraduate program and external students of comparable ability. The course involves the presentation of a research topic be it in performance, creative practice or more traditional approaches such as a thesis. A topic based in performance or creative practice must be combined with a written component called the exegesis. Area of research may potentially include any topic within the discipline of music subject to the availability of a supervisor. The exact nature and scope of the honours project is to be discussed in consultation with the student's supervisor.
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Detailed understanding of the key issues and concepts relating to their chosen field of study;
2. Detailed knowledge of materials and sources relating to their chosen field of study;
3. Ability to critically analyse and historically and aesthetically contextualise ideas relevant to their research project;
4. Ability to formulate and develop a research study through a suitable research method
5. Ability to complete an extended research thesis or dissertation at Honours level OR a written exegesis with an accompanying creative project at Honours level;
This course will involve the preparation and production of a substantial thesis. The overall thesis may consist of a research thesis (approximately 15,000-18,000 wds) OR a creative work and exegesis (equivalent length). The number of words in relation to the creative or performance component is flexible ranging between 30% and 70% for either the written and practical components. The student will be required to undertake independent research on a topic of their choice within the discipline of music in consultation with an appropriate supervisor and subject to approval by the Program convenor.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Music (Honours) program.
Thesis: Dissertation and Creative Project
Newcastle City Precinct
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self-Directed 37 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term