Honours Research Project
This course will involve the preparation, production and presentation of a substantial music project that will lay the foundation for a career in music research or the music profession. It is designed for students who reach a high level of achievement within the undergraduate program and external students of comparable ability. The course involves the presentation of a research topic be it in performance, creative practice or more traditional approaches such as a thesis. A topic based in performance or creative practice must be combined with a written component called the exegesis. Area of research may potentially include any topic within the discipline of music subject to the availability of a supervisor. The exact nature and scope of the honours project is to be discussed in consultation with the student's supervisor.
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Detailed understanding of the key issues and concepts relating to their chosen field of study;
2. Detailed knowledge of materials and sources relating to their chosen field of study;
3. Ability to critically analyse and historically and aesthetically contextualise ideas relevant to their research project;
4. Ability to formulate and develop a research study through a suitable research method
5. Ability to complete an extended research thesis or dissertation at Honours level OR a written exegesis with an accompanying creative project at Honours level;
This course will involve the preparation and production of a substantial thesis. The overall thesis may consist of a research thesis (approximately 15,000-18,000 wds) OR a creative work and exegesis (equivalent length). The number of words in relation to the creative or performance component is flexible ranging between 30% and 70% for either the written and practical components. The student will be required to undertake independent research on a topic of their choice within the discipline of music in consultation with an appropriate supervisor and subject to approval by the Program convenor.
Thesis: Dissertation and Creative Project
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self-Directed 37 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term