Deals with techniques for teaching instruments and vocal studies in one-to-one settings such as in a private music teaching studio. Various instrumental techniques and teaching methodologies are dealt with.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2016.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Design curriculums for beginning to intermediate students.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of learning theories in relation to intellectual and motor skills.
3. Demonstrate methodical approaches to the teaching of instrumental/vocal technique, musicianship and style.
4. Equip their students with a wide range of practice strategies including performance preparation.
5. Adapt their communication and instructional strategies to reflect a basic understanding of learner characteristics.
6. Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the relevant teaching literature.
A range of teaching methods and activities will be used including:
- Lectures and Tutorials.
- Online resources.
- In-class and on-line discussions.
- Group tasks.
Topics covered will include:
- Learning Theories.
- Learner Characteristics.
- Motivation and Trust.
- Beginning and Intermediate Instrumental Technique.
- Teaching Musicianship Skills.
- The Teaching Literature (Repertoire).
- Practice Skills.
- Performance Preparation.
- Studio Administration.
Online Learning Activity: WIKI
Presentation: WIKI & Group Presentation
Journal: Video & Journal