Creative and Analytical Studies in Music 4
This is the fourth in a series of five courses that aim to develop skills and the understanding of musical organisation, structures and techniques, shared musical vocabularies, aural skills, musical representation and communication. Examples from a wide diversity of musical styles are presented. The course also provides the opportunity to apply these tools and abilities creatively in any genre or era as defined by the interest of the student. This course particularly focuses on developed and advanced harmonic procedures, analysis and musical problem solving.
Newcastle City Precinct
- Semester 1 - 2016
- Semester 1 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of harmonic techniques and processes that are specific to certain musical styles and eras, including classical, popular, jazz and world music and their application in musical composition, performance and production.
2. Recognise, create and analyse significant approaches to musical organisation, with a particular emphasis on those developed harmonic techniques, and their application in musical composition, performance and production
3. Demonstrate a advanced level aural recognition and transcription skills
4. Demonstrate the ability analyse musical process and to communicate these analyses in written and spoken forms
5. Demonstrate the ability to use a range of creative resources to solve musical problems
Course content will include lectures, tutorial tasks, aural and transcription activities, technical practice exercises and other student activities.
Creative and Analytical Studies in Music 3 (MUSI2631)
In Term Test: Aural Test *
In Term Test: Technical Exam
Practical Demonstration: Creative and analytical tasks
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- In Term Test: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. This course contains two components (i) Aural and (ii) composition, analytical and technical skills. Each of the two components must be passed in order to pass this course.
Newcastle City Precinct
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term