Available in 2013
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 2|
|Port Macquarie Nth Coast Inst||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
Introduction to Percussion explores both tuned and untuned percussion performance and composition. No previous music experience is required. This course develops the understanding of basic rhythm patterns, the concepts of beat and pulse, the use of various tuned and untuned instruments and how to create a group performance using this media. Introduction to Percussion will develop introductory music reading skills connected with performing a range of repertoire appropriate to this stage.
|Objectives||At the completion of this course student's will demonstrate:
1. basic concepts of rhythm, beat and pulse.
2. the ability to sight-read a musical rhythm.
3. aural skills with relation to rhythm, time signature, pitch and performing media.
4. ensemble skills through group performance.
5. the ability to create a simple ensemble performance for tuned and untuned percussion.
6. the ability to adapt music making skills to a variety of classroom and extra curricula performance activities.
7. the ability to select and sequence appropriate repertoire.
|Content||The course will involve workshops where students will be given musical concepts and practical hands on experience with percussion instruments and techniques.|
|Assumed Knowledge||Nil. Students undertaking this course do NOT require any previous musical training.|
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for MUSI2003|