Introduction to Guitar
|Course code MUSI2001||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Creative Arts|
This course introduces students to elementary guitar technique and musicianship. Students will develop a repertoire of songs and pieces in various styles and obtain a method to further their development on the instrument independently. This course will prepare the student to play the guitar in all situations where simple music making is required. Students will be requested to practice specific music repertoire outside of regular tutorial times to successfully complete the course. A body of work will be created throughout the course for students to use in the primary school environment or any vocation that may benefit. No prior musical knowledge is required.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||On successfully completing MUSI2001 the student will be able to:|
1. Perform simple chord progressions to a range of popular songs.
2. Sight-read melodies in a range of keys.
3. Develop aural skills with relation to pitch, rhythm, time signature and performing media.
4. Acquire ensemble skills through group performance.
5. Perform technical exercises and patterns.
6. Adapt music-making skills to a variety of classroom and extra curricula performance activities.
7. Develop the ability to select and sequence appropriate repertoire.
8. Care and maintain the instrument including replacing strings.
9. Tuning the guitar including the use of a guitar tuner.
|Content||1. Technical work related to a variety of performance repertoire.|
2. Sequentially selected repertoire of performance materials.
3. Basic accompaniment skills.
4. Music literacy skills and aural development appropriate to the level of performance.
|Assumed Knowledge||Nil. Students undertaking this subject do NOT require any previous musical training.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for MUSI2001|