Creative and Analytical Studies in Music 1
This is the first in a series of five courses that aim to develop skills and the understanding of musical structures and techniques, shared musical vocabularies, aural skills, musical representation and communication. The course also provides the opportunity to apply these tools and abilities creatively in any genre or era as defined by the interest of the student. This course particularly focuses on melody, timbre and the use of technology.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of melodic, polyphonic and timbral techniques and their application in musical composition, performance and production in a variety of musical styles and eras
2. Recognise, create and analyse significant musical structures, with a particular emphasis on the melodic and other horizontal musical techniques as well as timbral considerations and their application in musical composition, performance and production
3. Demonstrate an introductory level of aural recognition and transcription skills
4. Demonstrate the ability to communicate about music written and spoken forms
5. Demonstrate effective use of technology in musical representation and basic production
Content may include but is not limited to:
- Intervallic, pitch and melodic concepts
- Elementary compositional procedures
- Use of technology in musical contexts
- Elementary music research skills, writing and analysis
- Development of musical aural perception skills
- Development of skills in music representation system
This course has similarities to MUSI1731. If you have successfully completed MUSI1731 you cannot enrol in this course.
A demonstration of the standard required in the School's music academic and practical tests conducted during the audition process for admission (or equivalent).
Practical Demonstration: Melodic Exercises - Skill based tasks including aural and notation training
In Term Test: Aural Assessment - Critical listening assessment
Project: Concept based creative assignment
Project: Final Composition - Realisation of creative work using software