Guitar Notation Systems and Styles
Not available in 2012
Previously offered in 2011
This course provides the student with a clear understanding of the many guitar notation systems as utilised by contemporary guitarists covering various performance styles such as pop, latin, metal, funk, etc. Notation and performance techniques for each of the styles will be explored and students will be taught the means to develop and collect resources and understand the requirments of each of the styles.
At the successful completion of this course students will demonstrate:
- recognition of various stylistic and performance techniques as displayed in guitar notation systems.
- recognition of performance techniques as displayed in audio/video examples.
- creation of notation examples in a range of guitar notation sytems using free software applications.
The course content will introduce the physical aspects of performance techniques relevant to the instrument including the following terms:
- The notation conventions for Guitar performance.
- Left hand techniques.
- Right hand techniques
- Chords and voicings.
- Rhythmic techniques.
- Sound production techniques (plectrums, amplifiers, effects and pickups).
- Online audio file uploading.
No assumed knowledge for this course
Modes of Delivery
Distance Learning : IT Based
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
Email Discussion Group
Self Directed Learning
Email Discussion Group: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self Directed Learning: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term