Guitar Notation Systems and Styles
|Course code MUSI1501||Units 10||Level 1000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Creative Arts|
This course provides the student with a clear understanding of the many guitar notation systems as utilised by contemporary guitarists covering various performance styles such as pop, latin, metal, funk, etc. Notation and performance techniques for each of the styles will be explored and students will be taught the means to develop and collect resources and understand the requirments of each of the styles.
Not available in 2015
|Objectives||At the successful completion of this course students will demonstrate:|
- recognition of various stylistic and performance techniques as displayed in guitar notation systems.
- recognition of performance techniques as displayed in audio/video examples.
- creation of notation examples in a range of guitar notation sytems using free software applications.
|Content||The course content will introduce the physical aspects of performance techniques relevant to the instrument including the following terms:|
- The notation conventions for Guitar performance.
- Left hand techniques.
- Right hand techniques
- Chords and voicings.
- Rhythmic techniques.
- Sound production techniques (plectrums, amplifiers, effects and pickups).
- Online audio file uploading.
|Assumed Knowledge||No assumed knowledge for this course|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Email Discussion Group: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Self Directed Learning: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term