Available in 2012
|Newcastle City Precinct||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2013, 2011, 2010
This is a practical course in music performance and presentation in collaborative settings. These settings include performances in large and small ensembles (for example orchestra, big band and choir), as well contemporary combinations such as jazz, laptop ensembles and pop bands. It consists of rehearsals and performances in a range of ensembles involving collaborative engagement with other performers, composers and creative producers, as well as the development of skills in improvisational approaches to music. Works performed are selected from a wide variety of musical styles and repertoires.
At the completion of this course students will demonstrate:
1. the ability to perform in collaborative contexts at an introductory level.
2. professional attitude including punctuality, attendance, preparedness, rehearsal technique and commitment at all rehearsals and performances.
3. understanding of the process of rehearsal and preparation for a performance.
4. the ability to improvise.
5. understanding of the various roles in musical collaborations.
1. Rehearsals, performances and workshops
2. Improvisation class
There is no assumed knowledge for the course other than the entry requirements for the program (i.e. audition and minimum academic standard).
Modes of Delivery
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term