Performing Baroque Music
|Course code MUSI1142||Units 10||Level 1000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Creative Arts|
Performance study and research in at least two different styles 16th to 18th centuries, making two performance projects. At least one project will involve ensemble performance. Students in a wide range of instruments including voice may enrol. The course gives the opportunity for keyboard students to study harpsichord and/or fortepiano; baroque brass, etc. The course will involve detailed study, performance and analysis of works from the chosen periods or styles, including improvisation and continuo playing; and performance techniques specific to the aims of historically informed performance
Available in 2015
|Objectives||The course is designed to give students |
* practical experience in historically informed performance, an area of increasing importance in professional music-making and teaching worldwide.
* an integration of practical and academic studies
* a broad repertoire and ensemble experience in 16th to 18th century music
* knowledge of improvised ornamentation in solo repertoire relevant to instrumental and vocal teaching and other creative processes in baroque music
* experience of different types of historical vocal and instrumental ensembles.
|Content||This course is presented as part of a proposal to consolidate student access to and experience in types of ensemble found specifically in 16th to 18th century music. It will be taught by existing full time staff, and will make use of the collection of baroque instruments that has been built up at the Conservatorium over the years, and the extensive library collection and research resources in this field. The unit introduces students to concepts of researching source material, editions, and their own interpretation of musical works.|
|Assumed Knowledge||An awareness of historical periods of music.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Workshop: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for MUSI1142|