Diagnostic Radiography Professional Practice 1
This course provides students with the opportunity to begin to develop professional knowledge, skills, attitudes and experience, by participating in professional skill labs at university and by attending a professional placement at an accredited diagnostic radiography clinical centre. The labs and professional placement will increase confidence and competence in undertaking and participating in basic professional procedures.
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Apply, participate in, and develop clinical skills in, MRS procedures at a level suitable to their current clinical experience
2. Begin to develop and demonstrate a professional attitude towards members of the public and other health care workers
3. Begin to develop clinical reasoning skills
4. Begin to develop and apply communication skills with members of the public and other health care workers
5. Practice within an ethical and legal framework
6. Be able to evaluate and critique his or her role within and during the clinical period, according to the level of experience
This course is fully integrated with MRSC1100 and MRSC1150. Medical radiation science students in Year I are expected to develop knowledge, skills and attitudes, practice and procedure, at a level commensurate with their professional development as outlined in MRSC1100 and MRSC1150.
- Musculo-skeletal imaging
- Cardio-respiratory imaging
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Diagnostic Radiography) (11017)
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Honours) (Diagnostic Radiography) (40002)
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
Successful completion of MRSC1010, HUBS1105 and HLSC1000 PLUS Concurrent enrolment in MRSC1100 and active in BMRS (Diagnostic Radiography) (11017) OR concurrent enrolment in MRSC1150 and active in BMRS (Honours) (Diagnostic Radiography) (40002).
HUBS1105 HUBS1401 MRSC1010 HLSC1000 Must be enrolled in or have successfully passed MRSC1100 or MRSC1150.
Portfolio: Clinical Supervisors Assessment *
Quiz: Online quizzes
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Clinical: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Students must complete 80 hours or 10 shifts on Clinical Placement to pass this course
- Laboratory: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Students must attend at least 50% of labs to pass this course
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Portfolio: Minimum Grade / Mark Requirement - Students must obtain a specified minimum grade / mark in this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must obtain satisfactory grades in the mandatory assessment items on the clinical supervisors assessment to pass the course. Overall, students must gain an average mark of 50% or above to pass the course.
- First Aid Certificate - students must complete a First Aid Certificate issued by an approved provider.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
Face to Face Off Campus 80 hour(s) per Term
Minimum of 80hours/10 shifts of clinical practice.Clinical Briefing 1 hr and Clinical debriefing 1 hr per semester
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 9 Weeks