Diagnostic Radiography Professional Practice 1
This course provides students with the opportunity to begin to develop professional knowledge, skills, attitudes and experience, by participating in professional skill labs at university and by attending a professional placement at an accredited diagnostic radiography clinical centre. The labs and professional placement will increase confidence and competence in undertaking and participating in basic professional procedures. The labs must be passed to be allowed to attend professional placement, and pass the course. Clinical placement occurs during Semester 2 for five weeks.
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Apply, participate in, and develop clinical skills in, MRS procedures at a level suitable to their current clinical experience
2. Begin to develop and demonstrate a professional attitude towards members of the public and other health care workers
3. Begin to develop clinical reasoning skills
4. Begin to develop and apply communication skills with members of the public and other health care workers
5. Practice within an ethical and legal framework
6. Be able to evaluate and critique his or her role within and during the clinical period, according to the level of experience
This course is fully integrated with MRSC1100. Medical radiation science students in Year I are expected to develop knowledge, skills and attitudes, practice and procedure, at a level commensurate with their professional development as outlined in MRSC1100.
- Musculo-skeletal imaging
- Cardio-respiratory imaging
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Diagnostic Radiography) program. Pre-requisite - successful completion of MRSC1010, HUBS1105 and HLSC1000. Co-requisite - concurrent enrolment in MRSC1100.
HUBS1105 HUBS1401 MRSC1010 HLSC1000 Must be enrolled in or have successfully passed MRSC1100.
Portfolio: Professional Skills / Clinical Competence Portfolio *
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Laboratory Exercises *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Portfolio: Minimum Grade / Mark Requirement - Students must obtain a specified minimum grade / mark in this assessment item to pass the course. - a. Gain an average mark of 50% or above AND b. Gain a minimum mark of 40% in every individual assessment task.
- Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Minimum Grade / Mark Requirement - Students must obtain a specified minimum grade / mark in this assessment item to pass the course. - a. Gain an average mark of 50% or above AND b. Gain a minimum mark of 40% in every individual assessment task.
Face to Face Off Campus 200 hour(s) per Term
Minimum of 200hours/25 shifts of clinical practice. Clinical Briefing 1 hr and Clinical debriefing 1 hr per semester - compulsory attendance NOTE: Full term does not include those times when students are on a timetabled professional placement
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 9 Weeks