The Midwife and Contemporary Maternity Care
Students will examine contemporary political and cultural issues related to childbearing and maternity care provision. The course encourages students to develop skills in self-awareness and self-nurturing to promote their own health. Skills in effective teamwork and professional development of self and others are discussed.
This course is a Compulsory Program Component and students must pass in order to progress in the Bachelor of Midwifery program
Port Macquarie Nth Coast Inst
- Semester 1 - 2016
- Semester 1 - 2016
1. Critically discuss the contemporary political and cultural issues related to childbearing and maternity care provision
2. Describe the barriers for woman from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities being able to access culturally safe maternity care
3. Provide culturally safe care to women and their families from CALD communities
4. Practise self-nurturing strategies to enhance their own holistic health
5. Demonstrate self-awareness and social intelligence when dealing with others
6. Work effectively as a team member and contribute to a harmonious workplace environment
7. Demonstrate mastery of specified clinical skills
8. Demonstrate satisfactory clinical performance
9. Demonstrate competency to practise as a midwife in one or more practice settings.
- Module 1: Contemporary Political and Cultural Context of Childbearing
- Module 2: Woman from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Communities
- Module 3: The Midwife, Self-care and a Healthy Workplace
- Module 4: Preparation for Practice
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Midwifery program, and have completed : HUBS1406, HUB1416, NURS1101, NURS1102, MIDI1201, MIDI1202, MIDI2101, MIDI2102, MIDI2103, MIDI2201.
Successful completion of all Second Year Bachelor of Midwifery subjects
Professional Task: Satisfactory clinical practice requirements *
Participation: Attendance at and participation in Clinical Laboratories *
In Term Test: OSCA's (Objective Structured Clinical Assessments) and CATS (Clinical Assessment Tests)
Literature Review: Literature Review *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Tutorial: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Students must prepare and participate in 80% of tutorials.
- Laboratory: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Satisfactory performance and 100% attendance of clinical laboratory is essential preparation for clinical practice and provides relevant clinical skills and knowledge. Failure to attend 100% of clinical lab will result in either cancellation or delay of clinical placement.
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Literature Review: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course.
- Participation: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course.
- Professional Task: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
Port Macquarie Nth Coast Inst and Callaghan
Face to Face Off Campus 262 hour(s) per Term
6 hours: Clinical supervision in small groups of up to six students for 2 hours per month 96 hours: Continuity of Care and Ante Natal Care (80) Child and Family Health (16) 160 hours: Birthing (40); Postnatal (40); Nursery (80)
Face to Face On Campus 16 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face On Campus 12 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks