Evidence Informed Health Care
This course is designed to introduce the student to scientific enquiry related to evidence-informed health practice. Students who successfully complete this course will have demonstrated an ability to take a clinical concern and write it as a researchable question. They will discover the power of systematically searching the literature and critically evaluating the quality and applicability of existing research. Students will discuss quantitative and qualitative research methods and identify which research methods are most appropriate for each type of research question. Further, they will learn to appraise the quality of published research critically. All this learning is integrated by the students when they write a critical review of the research literature.
Port Macquarie Nth Coast Inst
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2016
1. Compare and contrast various scientific paradigms
2. Explain the relationship between concepts, theory and research
3. Develop a researchable question; design and conduct a database search
4. Demonstrate a basic understanding of the common types of quantitative and qualitative research
5. Undertake a critical review of research literature in a focused area of practice and develop an evidence-based practice sheet as a summary of best evidence.
- Module 1: Science, Research Methodology and Evidence-Based Medicine
- Module 2: Questioning and Searching
- Module 3: Quantitatively Informed Practice
- Module 4: Qualitatively Informed Practice
- Module 5: Summarising a Critical Review of the Research Literature
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Midwifery program.
Successful completion of all first year Bachelor Midwifery or Bachelor of Nursing courses.
Quiz: In class exam: Online quiz
Written Assignment: Best evidence practice sheet *
Presentation: Group presentation *
Participation: Preparation for and participation in tutorials
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Tutorial: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Students must achieve a minimum of 80% tutorial preparation and participation (including completion of tutorial guides).
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Presentation: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- Written Assignment: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
Port Macquarie Nth Coast Inst and Callaghan
Face to Face On Campus 24 hour(s) per Term
Lecture internal 6 hours x 2 days, 12 hours online
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
Tutorials are internal.