Computer Simulation and Modelling
This course provides fundamental and practical concepts of computer simulation and modelling techniques and its role in engineering management problem solving. It covers such topics as models and model building, applications of simulation in engineering and engineering management issues and introduction to ARENA system modelling framework. The course is designed to be both broad in scope and practical in its applications covering areas such as management, manufacturing, maintenance, and service.
Not currently available.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand fundamental concepts of computer simulation and its role in engineering problem solving.
2. Develop and model engineering problems and apply procedures for modelling systems using ARENA framework.
3. Appreciate the advantages of using simulation and modelling for taking decision in engineering problems.
4. Understand the need to incorporate simulation and modelling considerations throughout the design and execution of a project aiming at understanding its limitations and ways of improvement.
- Basic aspects of modelling and simulation
- Simulation process / Models and systems
- Statistical problems related to simulation
- Discrete and continuous simulation modelling
- Applications of simulation
- Introduction to ARENA modelling framework
- ARENA: network modelling
- Basic Process Modules
- Modelling Detailed Operations
- Making Decision with Simulation
- Process Modelling
- Advanced Modelling Techniques
- OpQuest for ARENA
- Costing and Animation
There is no prerequisite for this course.
Report: Small Simulation Projects
In Term Test: Mid Semester Test
Report: Final Project Report
Presentation: Final Project Presentation