Bulk Materials Handling and Transportation
Presents the basic concepts related to bulk solids and their relative equipment design, based on the problems from industry. Also, the emphasis is placed on the decision making for designing or selecting suitable, reliable and economical equipment.
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Identify and assimilate key information for the design of integrated bulk materials handling systems.
2. Apply specialist knowledge to an open ended design problem taken from real industrial scenarios.
3. Work with a range of information sources to find practical solutions to situations where a range of practical solutions are possible.
4. Apply fundamental concepts to the design of a dense phase pneumatic conveying system.
5. Apply fundamental concepts to the design of a major mechanical conveying system.
6. Demonstrate ability to write a high level professional Technical feasibility study.
- Overview of Bulk Materials Handling
- Flow Properties of Bulk Solids
- Design of Mass Flow Bins
- Flow Rates of Coarse Bulk Solids
- Design of Funnel Flow and Expanded Flow Bins
- Bin Wall Loads
- Feeders and Discharges, Feeder Loads
- Characterisation and Classification of Bulk Solids in Pneumatic Conveying
- Pneumatic Conveying Characteristics, Calculation and Scale-up
- Pneumatic Conveying Case Studies
- New Technologies in Pneumatic Conveying
- Dust and Fume Extraction
- Belt Conveying
- Transfer Chute Design
Report: Assignment 1
Report: Assignment 2
Report: Assignment 3
Face to Face On Campus 5 hour(s) per Week for Full Term