Mechanics of Bulk Solids and Particulates
|Course code MECH3130||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Engineering and Built EnvironmentSchool of Engineering|
Basic properties of bulk solids and particulates and basic concepts used to design bulk solids handling and processing equipment are presented based on the problems from industry.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||The objectives of this course are to allow students to be able to:|
1. Characterise particulates.
2. Measure bulk solids properties at different conditions.
3. Determine particulate packing.
4. Determine stress distribution within particulate system.
5. Understand basic concepts for mass, funnel and expanded flow bin design.
6. Understand basic concepts of pneumatic conveying.
7. Be aware of other conveying systems.
|Content||The following topics are studied in the course:|
1. Basic properties of particulates
2. Property variation of bulk solids
3. Introduction to gravity flow in hopper
4. Basic concepts in mass, funnel and expanded flow bin design
5. Segregation and blending of particles
6.Single phase flow
7.Basic concepts in pneumatic conveying
|Assumed Knowledge||MECH2420 Engineering Mechanics; MECH2110 Mechanical Engineering Design 1.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 5 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for MECH3130|